Thursday 18 April 2013

A Little Orchestra - Josefina (Elefant)

It's not often you hear a song like A Little Orchestra's 'Josefina', a song that should be given away free on the NHS to those suffering with stress. Together with Cambridge's Model Village, the lead track from A Little Orchestra's new ep is simply sublime.

When I first heard this track I was suffering what is known in technical circles as 'a fucking shite afternoon'. 'Josefina' drifted into my ears, tickled me under the chin and led me off to the nearest daisy-filled meadow for a relaxing picnic and a quick nap.

But this perfect modern folkpop song isn't drippy - far from it. It's crystal clear vocals glide across the bobbling (that's right) plucked strings and arching woodwind. I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, but I'm sure glad I did because 'Josefina' bring back perfect memories of early Monkey Swallows the Universe, or The Hermit Crabs at their glacial best.

The rest of the ep features the likes of Darren Hayman, Ballboy, and Simon from The Loves. None of these songs quite touches the greatness of 'Josefina', but then very few songs will. Feeling tense, nervous, upset? Take A Little Orchestra's 'Josefina' five times a day. At least.


No comments: