Sunday 5 April 2009

Kids Love Lies - Count in my Head (Cherryade)

The glottal stop can be a cruel mistress, as is evidenced on Kids Love Lies' new single. I am clearly old enough to be the great grandfather of Kids Love Lies, but that doesn't mean I can't spot an affected accent when I hear one.

Which is a shame, because Count in my Head is the sort of song you'd love to get ready to go out to if you were 18 years old, and had sexual tension coarsing through every hair on your head. But to me, it sounds like forced fun.
It doesn't much better on the Sleater Kinney-ish Fight Face, which gives me a bit of a headache. But things are rescued a little bit with the acoustic version of Perfection, which at laeat doesn't descend into the realms of the operetta.

If Kids Love Lies calmed down a bit and didn't try and be so cool, it'd be a start. Underneath it all, there's some lively little songs waiting to get out. Pity they're being drowned at the moment.

No comments: